Its the first day of the week. So that means you’ll need a recap of whatever you missed over the past three days. That’s right, it is time for yet another Weekend that Was!
But before the shenanigans begin, let’s see how College Gameday went in Cambridge, Massachusetts.
Cheers to you brave gentleman. Cheers to you.
- The biggest news this weekend was Louisville’s triumph in its first meeting with Notre Dame in South Bend, 31-28. The Cardinals became only the 10th team to beat the Fighting Irish in their first game at Notre Dame Stadium. This victory is not only a fantastic signature on the season but also one of the biggest road wins in school history. Who would have guessed ten years ago that not only would Louisville play at Notre Dame, but they would win.
- As for the actual game, it was an ugly win. But a win is still a win. Reggie Bonnafan was 8-21, 180 yards, 3 total TDs, and 1 interception that was a heave down field late in the second half. It was by no means a perfect performance, but Reggie made some very difficult throws look easy. Coming out of the half, it was clear he had somewhat psyched himself out. Thanks to the Louisville running game, the Cardinals managed to stay in the game.
- Speaking of run game, Louisville really has something in Brandon Radcliff guys. Radcliff ran 136 yards on 17 carries, an average of 8 yards per carry. You just can’t teach how to find open space like he does. He’s shifty and hard to tackle, and he runs hard until he’s on the ground. He made several plays that were incredibly fun to watch.
- As for the missed kick by Notre Dame to hand the game over, a lot of people wanted to blame the holder. But I really have to place blame on the kicker for these awful short pants.
- The Louisville fans were incredible in South Bend, several reports saying that it was the best road crowd Notre Dame had seen in decades. Well done Card Nation.
- Louisville basketball also played this weekend, with a 85-67 defeat of Marshall. It wasn’t exactly a dominating performance from Louisville who had foul trouble from Chinanu Onuaku and Montrezl Harrell. However, the great news is that New Wayne Blackshear is here and he’s awesome. Wayne had 16 points six rebounds and four steals. He just looks far more aggressive and its exciting to see.
- Something I’ve noticed so far with Louisville basketball so far this season is a general inaccuracy from behind the arc. The team is shooting 21.9% from three so far this season. This is something that has to improve, as it will be a key to defeating the bigger and longer teams like Duke, UNC, and of course Kentucky.
- Also…Free Throws…Let’s not make this an issue again.
- Okay so before you ask: Yes there’s a decent chance that Louisville makes the Orange Bowl. Here’s how:
Louisville MUST beat Kentucky. That’s not too hard.
Florida State MUST make the College Football Playoff. This opens the Orange Bowl for an ACC team who isn’t the champion.
Georgia Tech MUST lose at Georgia next weekend AND lose to FSU at the ACC Championship. If Tech wins at Georgia its unlikely that they would fall below Louisville after losing to Florida State.
Clemson MUST lose at home to South Carolina. This is the toughest one, South Carolina has been pretty bad this season, hopefully the Ole Ball Coach can pull it off.
If all of this happens, I’ll see you in Miami for New Years Eve.
- Seriously this is why Kentucky fans are the absolute worst. This woman drove hours and hours just to troll in South Bend:
- Its tourney time for Louisville men’s soccer who have moved on to the final 16 with a victory over St. Louis 2-1 on Sunday. Freshman Tim Kubel provided the late goal that moved the Cards on to the next round. They will host UMBC next Sunday at 6PM at Lynn Stadium. I highly encourage everyone to head out there and support the Cards on what is likely the final home game of the year.
- I would love to take a second to thank the football gods for teasing us all season with non-noon kickoffs but hitting us where it hurts with the final game being a noon kickoff. Seriously that is the worst, I’ll see you at 8 AM for tailgate ladies and gentleman.
- In your non Louisville related thing of the week. Odell Beckham Jr made the greatest catch I’ve ever seen last night, and if you haven’t seen it you absolutely must.
My New York Giants may not make the playoffs but we’ve guaranteed ourselves an ESPY for Best Play.
Finally, its #BeatKentucky week. So I’m sure we’ll be talking about everything this week. You should stick around the Cardinal Connect for all of the fun.